This is the catch-up edition:
I’m sorry I haven’t been able to blog in a while. The campaign has been so busy, as the commitments ramped up I really have been campaigning 9am-9pm, squeezing in meals and childcare. When I’ve had dinner, I open up my laptop and answer emails (there have been hundreds and hundreds). You know I’m going to confess now, before it is all over, just how much fun I’ve had: I’ve met thousands of people, had my politics strengthened and affirmed by what I’ve seen and heard on the campaign trail and I know, more than ever, how much our area could benefit from a Labour government.
Since I last blogged:
- We’ve been to visit Dover Technical College, two local care homes, Stembrooke Shopping Arcade and the Christmas Market, The Elvington & Eythorne Mining Heritage Group, Deal Christmas Tree Festival (and whilst there popped in to the Food Bank), various local businesses to have discussions with their owners (butchers, hairdressers, jewellers, clothes shops, pubs, record shops, estate agents, book shops, coffee shops, cafes), done interviews with Deal Radio and with BBC Radio Asian Network.
- The team and I have also knocked on 1000s of doors to have chats and see voting intention in River, Whitfield, Buckland, St. Radigund’s, Aycliffe, Middle Deal, Aylesham, Lydden, North Deal, Clarendon, Mill Hill, St. Margaret’s.
- Other members of the team have been delivering our beautiful campaign postcards (see picture below) in Mill Hill, Buckland, Aylesham, Eastry, Finglesham, St. Margaret’s & Kingsdown
4. We’ve had other delivery teams getting our ‘big’ leaflet out and also my cartoon leaflet. See piccie below (yes, I know, cartoons are never flattering…):
- We’ve leafletted at 6 school gates at pick up with specific messages about the horrendous cuts to local schools’ budgets here made since 2010.
- The Royal Mail has begun deliveries of our Election Addresses.
- We now have over 100 garden boards and stakes up (thank you to the committed men-and-women-with-vans-and-hammers-team) and way more posters in windows!
- We’ve also had two evening hustings: one in Deal and one in Deal: you can see the closing speeches (from all the candidates not just me) from the Dover one here:
So, as we enter the final five days of the campaign, I’m taking tonight off. I’ve opened my laptop to write this small catch-up edition and now, I’m going to close it again to watch Strictly with my daughter. Catch you later!